The Military Veteran

Please help others by recommending this on Google,Thanks.


“Chapter 31 Program”

Do I qualify?

Are you rated at 10% service-connected disability or more? Were you honorably discharged from the military? Were you separated from the military or notified by the VA of a service-connected disability within the past twelve years?

Typically, if you can answer yes to these questions, you may qualify for Chapter 31 benefits. The mission of the VR&E is to help you gain meaningful employment because you might lack the required skills, to help you maintain steady employment or to help you achieve independence in your daily living conditions.

TIP #1

These programs are designed to assist Veterans who need career guidance and have an employment handicap. Be prepared to attend your first meeting with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRO) by analyzing your own personal and professional experiences, and evaluating what training you need to prepare for, obtain, and maintain your career goals.

For example: You previously served in the Marine Corps Infantry and currently have a service-connected disability preventing you from obtaining physically-demanding employment. Unfortunately, this was your area of expertise, and you lack the skills for other opportunities. Now, you are requesting rehabilitation, through education, at a four-year college to “re-train” you in business so you may gain successful employment that will not be hindered by your disability.

TIP #2

Don’t be confused between the Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation and training and other rehabilitation programs offered by each State. Although both entities offer similar programs to individuals with disabilities, the benefits can be very different.

For example: If you are seeking re-training through higher education, you may not receive any monthly allowance from the State. Likewise, expenses they pay for your college education may not be all inclusive - potentially leaving you with student-loan debt upon graduation. In contrast, the Veterans Affairs’ VR&E pays upfront costs for tuition, books and supplies, tutoring (if needed), plus your monthly subsistence allowance while in attendance.

Programs Available through VRE:

Below is a list of programs available through VR&E under Title 38, Chapter 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Click on the Rate Table to the right of each program to view the monthly allowance available to you while attending. Some programs are restricted to full-time status; others are more flexible allowing for part-time attendance.

In addition to the programs listed above, self employment is available to those who need flexibility, have limited access to traditional employment, or need a more accommodating work environment due to their service-connected disability.


How do I apply?

Submit VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, with your local VA office. Once this form is received, a meeting with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will be scheduled. Once eligibility is determined, a comprehensive evaluation will be performed to develop an individualized rehabilitation and/or employment plan.

Search our hot-topic links to the left for more information and helpful advice!

* While The Military Veteran strives to keep the most up-to-date information, we can not guarantee the complete accuracy of such provided. All data utilized has been gathered through research of the Department of Veterans Affairs and other government agencies.
Top of Page
Copyright ©2006 The Military Veteran
Free Tools